Essential New Zealand
This particular product has expired and is not available right nowSee similar Journeys
Some of the highlights included are:
- Admire waterfalls and cliffs of Milford Sound on a relaxing cruise
- Ride the spectacular TranzAlpine train from Greymouth to Christchurch
- Take to the skies in a helicopter and touch down on the Franz Josef Glacier
- Visit a traditional Maori village in Rotorua
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- Indirect international flights & internal flights
- 11 nights in 4-5* hotels
- 3 days' car hire
- Milford Sound day tour with lunch
- Franz Josef heli hike
- Tamaki Maori Village Tour
- TranzAlpine train from Greymouth to Christchurch
- Airport transfers
Need to know
- Arrives: Queenstown Airport (ZQN)
- Time difference: GMT+13
- Visa requirements: British passport holders do not require a visa
- Language: English and Maori
- Currency: New Zealand dollar (NZD)
- Flying time from UK: around 27 hours
- Plug type: 3-prong flat blade plug
- Voltage: 240 volts/50 cycles
Fly from UK to
Perhaps try jetboating on the Shotover River, or skydive over the beautiful Lake Wakatipu. Once you’ve got your breath back, set sail on a relaxing cruise on the still waters of Milford Sound. Get your camera ready and look out for dolphins as you sail among the towering cliffs, plunging waterfalls and pretty forests.
5* Hilton Queenstown
Milford Sound Day tour
See the glacier’s icy face in all its glory with a thrilling helicopter ride over the top of the creeping ice, then take a walk on its surface, visiting the ice caves, pools and pinnacles of this other-worldly place, glittering in various shades of blue and white. Later, drive to Greymouth and hop on board the TranzAlpine Railway, taking you through some of New Zealand’s most spectacular landscapes to Christchurch.
4* Franz Alpine Retreat
Franz Josef heli hike TranzAlpine train from Greymouth to Christchurch
Here you can while away the days in the cafés and restaurants, shop ‘til you drop in the boutiques or sample a cocktail or two in the bars. Be sure to take a look at the quirky Cardboard Cathedral, a temporary replacement for the one that fell in the 2011 earthquake, and explore the greener side of the city with a punting trip on the pretty River Avon.
4* Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch
Rotorua is also at the heart of New Zealand’s Maori culture so is the perfect place to learn more about local traditions and legends. While you’re here you’ll take a day trip to Tamaki Maori Village, in the midst of a 200-year-old forest. Here you’ll be treated to a cultural performance and a hangi meal, cooked under the ground.
4* Novotel Rotorua Lakeside
Tamaki Maori Village Tour
While Coromandel itself offers a number of gift shops and cute cafés, it’s the area around town that you’ll want to explore the most. Hit the hiking trails at Coromandel Forest Park for unbeatable views over the region or kayak Cathedral Cove to admire the rugged cliffs that plunge into bright blue waters.
4* Marina Park Apartments
If you prefer the outdoors, perhaps take the ferry to peaceful Waiheke Island, where you’ll find pristine beaches and pretty vineyards just 35 minutes by boat from Auckland. Alternatively, drive down to the suburb of Titirangi, dotted with art galleries, cafés and parks.
4* VR Queen Street