Sri Lanka Family Adventure
This particular product has expired and is not available right nowSee similar Journeys
Some of the highlights included are:
- Check out the view from the Sigiriya Rock Fortress, set on a 200 metre high rocky outcrop
- Delve deep underground to see the paintings in the Dambulla Cave Temple
- Look out for elephants, crocodiles and sloth bears on safari in Udawalawe National Park
- Welcome baby turtles to the world and learn about their plight at a turtle hatchery
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- International flights
- 11 nights in 4-5* hotels
- Services of a tour manager throughout your Journey, with airport meet & greets
- Sigiriya guided tour
- Dambulla Rock Temple guided tour
- Peradeniya Royal Botanical Garden
- Kandy guided tour
- Nuwara Eliya guided tour
- Udawalawe National Park safari
- Kosgoda Turtle hatchery
- Mask Factory
- Train from Peradeniya to Nanu Oya (Nuwara Eliya)
- All transfers
Need to know
- Arrives: Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB)
- Time difference: GMT+5:30
- Visa requirements: British passport holders require a tourist visa; please ask your travel consultant for more information
- Language: Sinhalese, Tamil, English
- Currency: Sri Lankan Rupee (LKR)
- Flying time from UK: Around 10½ hours
- Plug type: 3 large round pins
- Voltage: 230 volts/50 cycles
Fly from UK to
Negumbo is famous for its huge fish market, and if you can drag the kids out of bed, you can observe (or even participate in) the fish auctions and chat to local fishermen - just remember to hold your nose!
4* Jetwing Blue
Here, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of this towering 200-metre-high rocky outcrop, with its vertical walls leading to the ancient remains of a palace on its dramatic flat-topped peak, which offers a rather fabulous view of the jungle. The next day is yours to explore – perhaps pay a visit to Hiriwarduna to look for birds and monkeys and learn more about rural life and farming in this forested area (extra cost).
4* Aliya Resort & Spa
Sigiriya guided tour
Later, stop at a Batik factory on the way to Kandy. In Kandy, you’ll admire the blooms in the Peradeniya Royal Botanical Garden and call in at some of Kandy’s highlights, including the temple and the lake, before enjoying an evening cultural show.
5* Earl's Regency
Dambulla Rock Temple guided tour Peradeniya Royal Botanical Garden Kandy guided tour
Nuwara Eliya is a beautiful hill town with a refreshing climate and luscious scenery, understandably popular with those in search of some peace and quiet. Brilliant green tea plantations stretch over the rolling hills, as far as the eye can see, making this a great place to sit and relax with a cuppa or two. Luckily for you, on arrival in town you’ll be driven to the Grand Hotel for high tea, with the rest of the afternoon yours free to explore.
4* Jetwing's St Andrew's
Train from Peradeniya to Nanu Oya (Nuwara Eliya)
Here, you’ll join a guided safari through the park, which covers 30,821 hectares. Children will love looking out for elephants, sambar deer, buffalo, mongoose, bandicoots and foxes, as well as monitor lizards, crocodiles, sloth bears and if you are really lucky, leopards.
4* Grand Udawalawe Safari Resort
Nuwara Eliya guided tour Udawalawe National Park safari
While you’re here, you’ll visit the Tukkawadu mask factory in Ambalangoda, famous for its colourful (and slightly creepy) kolam masks. You’ll also call in at the turtle hatchery in Kosgoda, where you can learn about the conservation of the local sea turtles, see the tiny babies and, if you are really lucky, watch them hatching, a wonderful experience for children.
4* Centara Ceysands
Kosgoda Turtle hatchery Mask Factory