France: Loire Gastronomic Self-Guided Cycling
This particular product has expired and is not available right nowSee similar Journeys
Some of the highlights included are:
- Visit some of the finest chateaux in France
- Ride at your own pace through picturesque countryside
- Sample delicious cheese and wine
- Spot wildlife in the incredible park surrounding Chateau de Chambord
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- International flights
- 6 nights' accommodation in local hotels
- 5 days cycling with luggage transfers
- 6 breakfasts, 6 dinners
- Local bike hire
Need to know
- Arrives: Charles de Galle Airport
- Time difference: GMT+1
- Visa requirements: British passport holders don’t need a visa to visit France, but you should ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of your stay.
- Language: French
- Currency: Euro
- Flying time from UK: around 1 hour
- Plug type: 2 round pins
- Voltage: 230 volts
Fly from UK to
Chateau de Chissay
This is the perfect lunch spot; take a seat on the terrace of The Orangerie restaurant and soak up the beautiful surroundings. Continue through the shaded Amboise forest to the elegant village of St Ouen-les-Vignes, your home for the night. The following day is free to spend as you wish; perhaps pedal back to Amboise and explore Clos Luce, a 15th century manor house where Leonardo da Vinci lived and worked. Alternatively, it’s a 15km cycle along the River Cisse to the wine capital, Vouvray. Taste the famous Chenin Blanc wine here, before enjoying a relaxed evening. In the morning, head north to Autreche and onto Chaumont, home to an impressive 15th century chateau. A final shady stretch takes you through the pretty villages of Les Montils and Seur to Chitenay.
Chateau de Chambord
This 50km round trip is the ideal full day activity. Keep an eye out for deer, boar and eagles in the surrounding park. After a gentler pace? Spend the afternoon sampling fine cheese and wine.
Chateau de Chissay
Stop for lunch alongside the fortified chateau of Fougeres-sur-Bievre. Continue through Montrichard, the perfect spot for a coffee in a fairytale setting. Pedal onto Chateau du Chissay for a well-earned cocktail and dip in the pool.