Splendours of the South
Add in a sizzling cuisine, some lush landscapes and a smattering of wildlife and you’ve got yourself a diverse journey covering the rich splendours of this evocative region.
Some of the highlights included are:
- Experience the contrasts of ancient and modern in bustling Chennai
- Marvel at Mahabalipuram’s World Heritage-listed temples
- Keep a look out for elephants in the tranquil Periyar National Park
- Dine on delicious Keralian dishes in Kochi
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- International flights
- 11 nights in 4–4.5* hotels & hand-picked local gems
- 11 breakfasts, 1 lunch
- City tours in Chennai, Thanjavur & Kochi
- Visit to Kanchipuram & Mahabalipuram
- Visit to Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- Aarti Ceremony at Shree Meenakshi Temple
- 1 game drive in Periyar National Park
- Periyar Spice Plantation tour
- Kathakali dance show in Kochi
- Services of a tour manager throughout your Journey, with airport meet & greet
- All transfers
- Journeys exclusive: Lunch with a local Keralian family
Need to know
- Arrives: Chennai International Airport (MAA)
- Time difference: GMT+5:30
- Visa requirements: British passport holders require a tourist visa; please ask your travel consultant for more information
- Language: Hindi, English
- Currency: Indian Rupee (INR)
- Flying time from UK: Around 10½ hours
- Plug type: 3 large round pins
- Voltage: 230 volts/50 cycles
Fly from UK to Chennai
Touch down in the diverse city of Chennai, take a look around the contemporary art galleries and museums, and feel the sand between your toes on one of the longest beaches in the world.
4* The Park Chennai
Includes a morning city tour of Chennai
Head for the sacred town of Kanchipuram, known as the ‘Golden City of Temples’ due to the 125 sacred structures dotted across the city. End the day in the ancient seaport of Mahabalipuram.
4* Radisson Blu Resort Temple Bay
Includes a morning visit to Kanchipuram & Mahabalipuram
Feel the French influence in Puducherry, seen in everything from the Gallic road names and the 19th-century Hotel de Ville, to the steak-and-crepe-filled menus.
4* Windflower Resort & Spa
Includes an afternoon visit to Sri Aurobindo Ashram
Admire the world-renowned Chola temples and Nayak palaces of Thanjavur, formerly known as Tanjore. Crane your neck up at the aptly named ‘Big Temple’, dominated by an impressive 14-tiered, 66-metre-high pyramid.
Includes an afternoon tour of Thanjavur
Discover Chettinad’s marble-clad mansions and be sure to sample the delicious local cuisine, bursting with mouth-watering flavours and aromatic spices.
Visit Madurai, a city where suited businessmen rub shoulders with ambitious rickshaw wallahs. Visit the glorious Shree Meenakshi Temple, one of the largest in India.
4.5* Heritage Madurai
Includes an evening visit to Shree Meenakshi Temple to witness the Aarti Ceremony
Drive through verdant spice plantations and lush tea gardens to Periyar National Park. Explore the winding waterways by boat, keeping a look out for elephants and bison.
4* Spice Village
Includes an afternoon game drive in Periyar National Park; a morning tour of a spice plantation
Soak up the history in the seaside city of Kochi, tuck into an authentic Keralian meal with a local family and enjoy a performance of traditional Kathakali dance.
4.5* Crowne Plaza
Includes a city tour of Kochi; an evening Kathakali dance show; a Journeys exclusive: Lunch with a local Keralian family
Depart Kochi and return to the UK
Why you can trust us?
Round the World Experts offer superior travel experiences, have a global team,
and over 40 years of experience as part of the Flight Centre Travel Group.