Rocky Mountaineer: Journey through the clouds explorer with Alaska Cruise
Hop onboard the iconic Rocky Mountaineer train for an unforgettable journey past Western Canada’s endless mountain peaks and glistening glaciers.
Starting in Calgary, you’ll explore the stunning scenery of Banff, Lake Louise’s eponymous lake and the creeping Icefields Parkway, before setting sail on an icy cruise past the dramatic scenery of Alaska’s Inside Passage, Glacier Bay National Park and the Mendenhall Glacier.
Some of the highlights included are:
- Spend two days admiring the beautiful scenery from the iconic Rocky Mountaineer train
- Jump onboard a six-wheel drive Ice Explorer vehicle for a tour of the Athabasca Glacier
- Take to the skies in a helicopter for far-reaching views of Kananaskis
- Cruise the Inside Passage to Alaska on board the ms Nieuw Amsterdam, stopping to admire the glaciers and Icefields on the way
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- International flights
- 7 nights in 4-4.5* hotels & hand-picked accommodation
- 2 days on-board the Rocky Mountaineer
- Summit Helicopter tour of Kananaskis
- Banff Gondola ride
- Full day Banff tour
- Icefields Parkway & Yoho Park tours
- Ice Explorer ride on Athabasca Glacier
- 7-night Alaska cruise on board the ms Nieuw Amsterdam
- All transfers
Need to know+
- Arrives: Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- Time difference: GMT-7
- Visa requirements: British passport holders require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), available online.
- Travel Authorization (eTA). Speak to your Travel Butler for further information
- Language: English, French
- Currency: Canadian dollar (CAD)
- Flying time from UK: around 10 hours direct
- Plug type: 2 flat pins
- Voltage: 120V
Fly from UK to Banff
Leaving Calgary behind, you’ll set off on a full day tour, starting in Kananaskis, where you’ll check out the landscape from above on a thrilling helicopter ride. On the way to Banff itself you’ll call in at Bow Falls, Lake Minnewanka and the Hoodoos, before riding the Banff Gondola to the summit of Sulphur Mountain. This exciting ascent takes just eight minutes, and once at the top there’s an option of a short walk around the summit ridge. Look out for bighorn sheep!
From Banff, you’ll join a half-day tour of the natural wonders of Yoho National Park, including the Spiral Tunnels, Kicking Horse River and Emerald Lake. You’ll finish in beautiful Lake Louise, where you’ll have a free afternoon to explore. Perhaps hire a canoe or take a walk around the spectacularly blue Moraine Lake or soak up the views at Lake Louise itself from the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise hotel, which looks like it’s been plucked straight from a fairy-tale.
Spend the day touring the sights and sounds of Banff and Jasper National Parks along the picturesque Icefields Parkway. You’ll even get to travel onto the creeping Athabasca Glacier in a specially-designed Ice Explorer, a 6-wheel drive vehicle that looks not unlike a Monster Truck. Top sights include the beautiful Bow Lake, glistening beneath the mountains, and the Columbia Icefield. The next day, you’ll explore the mountain wilderness of Jasper National Park.
Get ready for the ride of your life as you board the famed Rocky Mountaineer train as it travels from Jasper to Vancouver via Kamloops. Watch the dramatic scenery of the Cariboo Mountains pass by as you Journey along the North Thompson River. After a night in Kamloops, continue on the train to Vancouver via dense forests and jagged rock formations, and enjoy dazzling views of lake shores, mountain peaks and winding canyons.
At the Vancouver cruise terminal, hop onboard the ms Nieuw Amsterdam cruise ship, bound for Alaska, your home for the next seven days. Cruise the Inside Passage to Juneau, where you’ll explore the Mendenhall Glacier and the Juneau Icefields. Choose to spend your time rafting, kayaking, fishing or flying over the area, before continuing to Skagway and Glacier Bay National Park. At Ketchikan, you can visit the Tongass Historical Museum and Totem Bight State Park, before returning to Vancouver once more. Don’t forget to look out for whales.
Depart Vancouver and return to the UK
Why you can trust us
Round the World Experts offer superior travel experiences, have
a global team,
and over 40 years of experience as part of the Flight Centre Travel Group.