Take in two of Australia’s must-see attractions – the vibrant corals and tropical fish of the Great Barrier Reef and the huge sandstone monolith of Uluru in the Red Centre – on this diverse Journey.
Starting in Port Douglas, you’ll explore the beaches, rainforests and gorges of northern Queensland before flying to the Northern Territory to discover the dusty rock formations of the desert.
Some of the highlights included are:
- Fly high above the Great Barrier Reef on a scenic helicopter flight
- Walk through the gorgeous scenery of Mossman Gorge with an indigenous local guide
- Watch the illuminations twinkle at the Field of Light installation at the base of Uluru
- Take a walk around the rim of the dramatic Kings Canyon
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- Authentic local experiences
- All international & internal flights
- 15 nights 4.5-5* hotels
- 10 days car hire
- Quicksilver Great Barrier Reef Cruise & Scenic Flight
- Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
- Dreamtime Gorge Walk
- Kuranda self-drive tour
- Uluru base & sunset tour with BBQ dinner
- Night at the Field of Light
- Kings Canyon & Outback Explorer
- All transfers
Need to know+
- Arrives: Cairns Airport (CNS)
- Time difference: GMT+10
- Visa requirements: British passport holders require a tourist visa; please ask your travel consultant for more information
- Language: English
- Currency: Australian dollar (AUD)
- Flying time from UK: Around 23 hours
- Plug type: 3-prong flat blade plug
- Voltage: 240 volts/50 cycles
Fly from UK to Port Douglas
Drive to Port Douglas, gateway to the underwater wonders of the Great Barrier Reef. Here you’ll set sail on a cruise to the corals, with the opportunity to dive or snorkel among the technicoloured fish. You’ll also join thrilling scenic helicopter flight over the reef, the perfect way to take in its size and beauty. Don’t forget your camera! While in Port Douglas you’ll also visit the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park, where you’ll learn more about the Aboriginal culture and watch some traditional dancing.
Continue to Mossman, located on the Mossman River and just a stone’s through from the beautiful Mossman Gorge. Here, you’ll explore the landscapes on a Dreamtime Gorge Walk with an indigenous guide, who will show you the most culturally significant spots and share some intriguing local legends with you. If you like, you can even take a refreshing dip in a rainforest glade, the perfect way to cool off from the afternoon sun.
Chill out on the glorious beaches of Palm Cove, a peaceful beach resort around 30 minutes’ drive north of Cairns. Other than enjoying the soft sands and perhaps signing up to a few water sports, you’ll have time to explore the inland rainforests of the Atherton Tablelands under your own steam. Here you can take the famous train and Skyrail to Kuranda village, deep in the heart of the forests and home to various markets, some pretty waterfalls and a number of wildlife sanctuaries.
Drop your hire car back in Cairns and fly to Uluru, where you’ll set off on a walk around the base of this world-famous rock, a giant protrusion from the dusty sands of the Red Centre. Later, enjoy canapés and sip sparkling wine as you observe the rock turn various shades of purple, pink and orange as the sun sets then, as dark descends, watch over 50,000 lights come to life as you enjoy a three-course dinner overlooking the Field of Light art installation.
Travel to Alice Springs via some impressive Outback scenery: think red sands, wind-smoothed sandstone rocks and plenty of breath-taking views. You’ll stop off among the dramatic cliffs of Kings Canyon, where you can explore on foot, choosing to walk some of the canyon rim or head down to the creek bed. Once in Alice Springs, you can choose to browse the markets – a great place to pick up traditional aboriginal dot paintings – or take a look around the Alice Springs Desert Park.
Depart Alice Springs and return to the UK
Why you can trust us
Round the World Experts offer superior travel experiences, have
a global team,
and over 40 years of experience as part of the Flight Centre Travel Group.