Get outside and get active on this classic Journey, taking in the highlights of China, ...
... but with a focus on its most loveable resident – the giant panda. You’ll hike the Great Wall of China, tour the Forbidden City, meet the Terracotta Warriors and see the loveable bear in its natural habitat. For nature and animal lovers, this is a Journey filled with dramatic scenery, fascinating history and indigenous wildlife.
Some of the highlights included are:
- Join the locals for a Tai Chi session in the Temple of Heaven Park
- Take a six hour hike along the rugged Jinshanling section of the Great Wall of China
- Cycle along the ancient walls of Xian for an aerial view of the city
- Come face to face with the charming giant pandas of Bifengxia
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- All international & internal flights
- 9 nights in 4* hotels
- Hike on the Great Wall of China
- Cycling Xi’an’s city wall
- Bifengxia Panda Base tour
- Beijing city tour
- Terracotta Warriors
- Tour of the Muslim Quarter
- Pingle Ancient Town & Lugou Bamboo Sea tour
- Bifengxia Panda Base tour
- Hot pot dinner
- Services of a guide throughout your Journey
- Entrance fees
- All transfers
Need to know+
- Arrives: Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK)
- Time difference: GMT+8
- Visa requirements: British passport holders require a tourist visa; please ask your travel consultant for more information
- Language: Standard Mandarin
- Currency: Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY)
- Flying time from UK: Around 10 hours direct
- Plug type: 3-prong flat blade plug
- Voltage: 220 volts/50 cycles
Fly from UK to Beijing
Arrive in Beijing and meet your guide for a tour around Tiananmen Square and the Summer Palace. Check out the impressive Temple of Heaven and its surrounding park, where you’ll join the locals for some relaxing Tai Chi. Then get your energy levels up for an exhilarating six-hour hike on the Great Wall of China, passing through the beautiful mountain landscapes and dramatic rocky peaks at Jinshanling, a less visited section.
Fly to Xi'an, where you’ll get on your bike and cycle along the top of the 14th century city walls, giving you a unique perspective on the city. The next day, visit the imposing Terracotta Warriors, discovered in 1970 but created over 2,000 years ago to guard the emperor’s tomb. For an unusual souvenir, you can even buy a full-size replica warrior – if you can get it back home that is. Back in the city, take a wander around the Muslim Quarter with your guide. Barter for knick-knacks, taste the spices and get lost in the maze of market stalls.
Take a look around Pingle Ancient Town and Lugou Bamboo Sea on the way to Ya’an, home of the giant panda. Watch this magnificent creature in its natural bamboo-filled habitat at the Bifengxia Panda Base, home to 80 of the adorable black and white bears. Spend the afternoon on a hike through the dramatic scenery of the Bifeng Gorge, passing through thick forests and past crystal clear streams and plunging waterfalls.
Explore the streets of panda-centric Chengdu, a modern city filled with traditional teahouses. In fact, the Chinese tea industry (and obsession!) originated here so be sure to try a cup or two. You can choose to join a Tai Chi session in the People’s Park, or join the locals for a lively game of mah-jong. Spend the evening tucking into Sichuan’s famous hot pot, a bowl of boiling broth that you dip meat, vegetables and bread into. Beware – it can be pretty spicy!
Depart Chengdu and return to the UK
Why you can trust us
Round the World Experts offer superior travel experiences, have
a global team,
and over 40 years of experience as part of the Flight Centre Travel Group.