Middle Earth Explorer
Look out for Frodo and Bilbo in the Shire, go behind the scenes and see how the props were made. Visit various filming backdrops as you admire the glorious scenery that is the standout star of this popular film franchise.
Some of the highlights included are:
- Savour world-class wines in three wineries at Auckland’s Waiheke Island
- Relive the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies as you explore idyllic Hobbiton
- Get lost in movie magic in Wellington’s Lord of the Rings location tour
- Visit towering Aoraki/Mount Cook, New Zealand’s highest mountain peak
- Discover Queenstown’s scenery, including the Pillars of the King location
- Experience the silence of Middle Earth on an overnight Milford Sound cruise
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- All international & internal flights
- 12 nights in 4.5–5* hotels
- 1 night Milford Mariner overnight cruise
- 5 days car hire
- Wine on Waiheke tour
- Hobbiton Movie Set & Farm tour
- Lake Spa Bathing at Rotorua
- Lord of the Rings location tour in Wellington
- Ferry crossing from Wellington to Picton
- Coastal Pacific train
- Queenstown highlights tour
- All transfers
Need to know
- Arrives: Auckland Airport (AKL)
- Time difference: GMT+13
- Visa requirements: British passport holders do not require a visa
- Language: English and Maori
- Currency: New Zealand dollar (NZD)
- Flying time from UK: around 27 hours
- Plug type: 3-prong flat blade plug
- Voltage: 240 volts/50 cycles
- A one-way fee applies for the car hire in this Journey; please ask us for details
- The Coastal Pacific Train does not operate from May through September; a car hire extension will substitute the train during this period
Fly from UK to Auckland
Arrive in cosmopolitan Auckland and sail across to peaceful Waiheke Island for a spot of wine tasting at three premium wineries.
4.5* Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
Includes a Wine on Waiheke tour, with wine-tasting at three premium wineries
See if the hobbits are home as you pay a special visit to the quaint village of Hobbiton on your way to Rotorua, where you’ll bathe in the hot mineral pools of Lake Spa.
4.5* Millenium Hotel Rotorua
Includes a tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set on the way from Auckland to Rotorua; a thermal-water bathing experience at Lake Spa
Drop in on Turoa, filming location for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, on your way to Wellington, where you’ll see behind the scenes of the Lord of the Rings films.
4.5* Rydges Wellington
Includes a half-day Lord of the Rings location tour, including a visit to the Weta Workshop
Sail across to the South Island, then board the scenic Coastal Pacific Train to pretty Christchurch. Take a look around the fascinating Canterbury Museum, or find out more about polar exploration at the Antarctic Centre.
4.5* Peppers Clearwater Resort
Includes the ferry crossing from Wellington to Picton at 8:30am; the scenic Coastal Pacific train from Picton to Christchurch at 1:00pm
Aoraki Mount Cook
Continue on past twinkling blue lakes and dense forests to the stunning mountain scenery of Aoraki/Mount Cook, the highest peak in Australasia.
4.5* The Hermitage Hotel
Visit the Lake Pukaki, otherwise known as Lake-town in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, then admire the Pillars of the King from Fellowship of the Ring on your way to Queenstown.
5* Peppers Beacon
Queenstown Highlights tour
Set sail on an overnight cruise around Milford Sound, an area used as a backdrop in all three of The Hobbit movies. Admire the dramatic cliffs and plunging waterfalls in this picturesque region.
1 night on-board the Milford Mariner overnight cruise
Return to Queenstown for one last night. Perhaps visit the famous Pig & Whistle pub for a comfort meal and a beer and reminisce about your Middle Earth Journey.
5* Peppers Beacon
Depart Queenstown and return to the UK
Why you can trust us?
Round the World Experts offer superior travel experiences, have a global team,
and over 40 years of experience as part of the Flight Centre Travel Group.