Foothills of the Himalayas
... historic palaces, glittering temples and iconic train travel. Gaze in awe at the Golden Temple, soak up Shimla’s magnificent Himalayan views, and delight in the cornucopia of colour and sound that is Delhi.
Some of the highlights included are:
- Wonder at the dazzling beauty of the celebrated Golden Temple
- Admire the majestic views of snow-capped peaks in the Himalayan foothills
- Wind your way through stunning mountain landscapes on the iconic Toy Train
- Take a postcard-perfect photo in Delhi with the help of a professional photographer
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- International flights
- 10 nights in 4* hotels & hand-picked local gems
- 10 breakfasts
- Golden Temple & Amritsar City Tour
- City tours in Dharamshala, Shimla & Delhi
- Excursion to Dada Siba via Chinor
- Iconic train ride from Shimla to Delhi
- Services of a tour manager throughout your Journey, with airport meet & greets
- All transfers
- Journeys exclusive: Framing the Morning – Delhi photo tour
Need to know
- Arrives: Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee International Airport (ATQ)
- Time difference: GMT+5:30
- Visa requirements: British passport holders require a tourist visa; please ask your travel consultant for more information
- Language: Hindi, English
- Currency: Indian Rupee (INR)
- Flying time from UK: Around 11 hours
- Plug type: 3 large round pins
- Voltage: 230 volts/50 cycles
Fly from UK to
Explore the legendary city of Amritsar, whose maze of narrow lanes and railway lines has built up around an excavated pool thought to have healing powers. In the centre of this pool is the Harmandir Sahib, better known as the famous Golden Temple, a dazzling example of a gurdwara and the holiest site in Sikhism. Take a look around this magnificent structure and then tour the mediaeval Old Town, including the touching Jallianwala Bagh memorial. Later, head out of town to the Wagah Border, the boundary between India and Pakistan, where you’ll witness the fascinating Beating the Retreat flag ceremony.
4* Hyatt Amritsar
Includes a morning visit to the Golden Temple; a city tour of Amritsar; an afternoon excursion to Wagah Border
Enter the rocky landscape of Dharamshala, a hill station with a stunning snow-capped mountain backdrop. The town is divided into the lower and upper parts, with Upper Dharamshala being nicknamed ‘Little Lhasa’ because the Dalai Lama sought refuge here after being exiled from Tibet. Visit his home in McLeod Ganj and call in at the Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts to learn more about Tibet’s vibrant music and dance. After you’ve soaked up the fascinating history and culture of the town be sure to admire the epic Himalayan panoramas.
3.5* The Pride Surya Mt. Resort
Includes a tour of Dharamshala
Arrive in the historic village of Pragpur, a charming collection of cobbled streets lined with slate-roofed cottages and colonial mansions. Take a wander around and soak up the heritage, admiring the pretty views. Drive to Chinor and marvel at the watermills, then continue on to the beautiful hilltop palace of Dada Siba and the exquisitely decorated temple of Radha-Krsna, both remnants of a 200-year-old dynasty.
4* The Judge’s Court
Includes an excursion to Dada Siba via Chinor
Travel through the beautiful Kangra Valley to the mountainside retreat of Shimla where you’ll gaze out across panoramic Himalayan views and look around the various temples and museums. The town is brimming with grand buildings, old-fashioned lamp posts and historical sites. Uncover the mystery of Scandal Point, named after an elopement of an Indian Maharaja with a British Lady, admire the glorious Christ Church and take a peek at the 250-year-old temple of Tara Devi. Later, wander down to Vice Regal Lodge, a palatial estate once home to the British Viceroy of India.
4* Radisson Hotel
Includes a morning tour of Shimla
Board the celebrated Toy Train, a narrow-gauge railway, and chug through spectacular mountain scenery to Kalka, where you’ll change trains for your onward journey to Delhi. Once you arrive in India’s liveliest city, absorb the riotous colour and tour the forts and palaces, including the opulent Red Fort and the enormous Jama Masjid. For a special treat exclusive to Flight Centre, join an expert photographer for a walk around the lanes and markets of Old Delhi, where you can capture that perfect souvenir photo.
4* Le Meridien
Includes the train from Shimla to Delhi via Kalka, including the iconic Toy Train; a full-day tour of Delhi; a Journeys exclusive: Framing the morning – Delhi photo tour
Depart Delhi and return to the UK
Why you can trust us?
Round the World Experts offer superior travel experiences, have a global team,
and over 40 years of experience as part of the Flight Centre Travel Group.