Explore Sri Lanka
Encompassing sweeping white beaches, historic churches and intriguing rock temples, as well as some magnificent local wildlife and pretty countryside scenery, this Journey is definitely not to be missed.
Some of the highlights included are:
- Admire the towering Sigiriya Rock Fortress and climb to the top for great views
- Admire the ornate casket at the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic
- Explore the five caverns of the Dambulla Cave Temple, filled with statues
- Take a look around the Matale Spice Gardens and taste the aromatic spices
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- International flights
- 7 nights in 4* hotels
- 7 breakfasts
- Services of a tour manager throughout your Journey, with airport meet & greets
- Kandy city tour
- The Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic
- Sigiriya Rock Fortress climb
- Colombo food tour
- Train from Peradeniya to Nanu Oya
- Dambulla Cave Temple
- All transfers
- Matale Spice Gardens
Need to know
- Arrives: Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB)
- Time difference: GMT+5:30
- Visa requirements: British passport holders require a tourist visa; please ask your travel consultant for more information
- Language: Sinhalese, Tamil, English
- Currency: Sri Lankan Rupee (LKR)
- Flying time from UK: Around 10½ hours
- Plug type: 3 large round pins
- Voltage: 230 volts/50 cycles
Fly from UK to
On arrival into Colombo, you’ll transfer to Negombo, a beachside town where you can live the tropical life. With its pretty palm-backed beach and well-preserved dive sites, there’s plenty to do. The town is famous for its huge fish market, and early risers can observe (or even participate in) the fish auctions and chat to local fishermen - just remember to hold your nose! For an interesting trip, hire a boat or take a walk along the Dutch Canal, observing everyday life as you go.
4* Jetwing Sea
Climb to the top of Sigiriya’s rock fortress, built on a rocky outcrop 200m high, for far-reaching views across the forest canopy. This World Heritage site, built in the 5th century, is one of Sri Lanka’s most famous and impressive sights, and a moat, rampart and gardens still surround its base.
4* Aliya Resort & Spa
Sigiriya Rock Fortress climb
Call in at the Dambulla Cave Temple, filled with statues, shrines and ceiling paintings, on your way to Kandy. Before reaching the city itself, you’ll stop off at the delightful Matale Spice Gardens, filled with the scent of Sri Lanka’s aromatic spices such as cardamom, cinnamon and pepper. On arrival in Kandy, you’ll tour the city, including a visit to the famous Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic for the evening pooja ceremony, where followers gather to offer flowers and prayers.
4* Amaya Hills
Dambulla Cave Temple Matale Spice Gardens Kandy city tour The Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic
Ride the train through rolling green hills to Nuwara Eliya, where you’ll learn all about its tea industry, and can even try a cup or two. At 1,889m, Nuwara Eliya offers a cool break from the heat of the lower altitudes, and a great place to relax. For a fun optional activity, dine on fine food at the Heritance Tea Factory, a narrow-gauge railway dining car now converted to a nostalgic restaurant, with an excellent wine list too.
4* Heritance Tea Factory
Return to Colombo and taste your way around its eclectic restaurants on an Eat, Eat and Repeat food tour. Feast your eyes and your stomach on the deliciously fragrant Sinhala, Muslin, Tamil and Malay cuisines on offer at Colombo’s street stalls, visit local haunts and try the fresh produce at the markets. There’s plenty of time to see the sights, such as Fort Station, the Red Mosque and the Khan Clock Tower, along the way.
4* Galle Face Hotel
Colombo food tour
Depart Colombo and return to the UK
Why you can trust us?
Round the World Experts offer superior travel experiences, have a global team,
and over 40 years of experience as part of the Flight Centre Travel Group.