Take in China’s best bits on this far-reaching Journey covering the historical sights of Beijing and Xi’an, ...
... including the Great Wall, before heading on to the gorgeous karst scenery of Guilin and the Li River. Finish in shiny modern Shanghai, a city offering pretty gardens, exquisite temples and mouth-watering cuisine.
Some of the highlights included are:
- Discover Beijing's icons, including infamous Tiananmen Square
- Find out more about Xi’an’s army of Terracotta Warriors
- Admire the vivid green rice terraces and pretty lakes of Guilin
- See the contrasts of old and new in bustling Shanghai
Not what you're looking for? Use our Inspiration tool to find the holiday you want.
- All international & internal flights
- 11 nights in 4* hotels
- 1 night overnight train
- Forbidden City & Tiananmen Square
- Visit to Great Wall of China & Ming Tombs
- Summer Palace & Beijing Zoo
- Rickshaw tour of Beijing's Hutong
- Terracotta Warriors
- Full-day trip to the Longsheng Rice Terraces
- Li River Cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo
- Bicycle tour of Yangshuo & countryside
- Visit to Shanghai Museum & People’s Square
- Full-day trip to Suzhou, including a visit to Master of the Nets Garden
- Visit to Jade Buddha Temple, Shanghai Old Town & Oriental pearl TV Tower
- Services of a tour manager throughout your Journey with airport meet & greets
- All transfers
Need to know+
- Arrives: Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK)
- Time difference: GMT+8
- Visa requirements: British passport holders require a tourist visa; please ask your travel consultant for more information
- Language: Standard Mandarin
- Currency: Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY)
- Flying time from UK: Around 10 hours direct
- Plug type: 3-prong flat blade plug
- Voltage: 220 volts/50 cycles
Fly from UK to Beijing
Enter the whirlwind that is bustling Beijing, China’s frenetic capital, bursting with buildings ancient and modern, thronging with cars, bikes and pedestrians. Watch the locals perform Tai Chi, then discover the history of the Forbidden City, a World Heritage Site, and the infamous Tiananmen Square, the world’s largest public plaza. Gaze at the iconic sight of the Great Wall of China, one of the world’s greatest manmade wonders, as its fortifications snake out in front of you across green mountains and valleys. Explore the huge temple-like complexes of the Ming Tombs, burial place for no less than 13 Ming dynasty emperors.
Still in Beijing, take a look around the lakes and gardens of the pretty Summer Palace and tour the narrow hutongs, rows of traditional houses with courtyards, by rickshaw. Take a look around another World Heritage Site, the Summer Palace, and admire the large expanse of Kunming Lake stretching out before you. Look out for the 17-arched bridge and the marble boat, which is actually a static lakeside pavilion. Head down to Beijing Zoo and watch the pandas play, then later board your overnight train to Xi’an.
Arrive in Xi’an and take a wander through the atmospheric Muslim Quarter. Be sure to try the tasty Muslim-influenced food and admire the towering city walls, which you can walk or even ride a bike on. Visit the seven-storey Big Goose Pagoda, built in 704, and the Great Mosque, built in 742 during the Tang Dynasty. Step back in time to traditional China in the atmospheric Shuyuanmen Old Street, with many shops and stalls selling traditional Chinese calligraphy and paintings. Of course the star attraction of Xi’an is the fascinating army of Terracotta Warriors.
Fly on to Guilin, where you’ll drive to Longsheng and explore the famous Dragon’s Back rice terraces. These vivid green fields form steps up the side of the mountains up to 800 metres in altitude. The terraces have been there about 650 years and are thought to resemble a dragon’s scales with the summit its back bone, hence the name. Take a walk along the backbone and pass through the Zhuang and Yao ethnic minority villages. Back in Guilin, call in at the bustling evening market on the banks of the River Li.
Take your seat on your Li River cruise and admire the beautiful colours of the emerald green karsts contrasting with the sapphire blue sky as you sail the calm waters to Yangshuo. Soak up the more relaxed pace of life here among the traditional villages, and meet the friendly locals as you cross rice fields and clear streams. On arrival in Yangshuo, take a bike to a local village, passing beautiful farms and fields, green limestone hills, orchards, and experiencing rural Chinese life - you can still see the farmers using old fashioned farming methods to plough their fields.
Fly on to Shanghai where you’ll walk along the iconic Bund. Take a full day trip to Suzhou by train, and visit the delightful Garden of the Master of the Nets, before spending the afternoon in Luzhi and enjoying a boat trip on the tranquil river and narrow channels. Back in Shanghai, head down to the People’s Square and the Shanghai Museum. Tour the Old Town and take a look around the colourful Jade Buddha Temple. Explore the ultra modern Pudong new area and the iconic Bund skyline, then head up the Oriental Pearl TV tower, one of Asia’s tallest towers. If you have time try a cup of tea in a traditional tea house.
Depart Shanghai and return to the UK
Why you can trust us
Round the World Experts offer superior travel experiences, have
a global team,
and over 40 years of experience as part of the Flight Centre Travel Group.