Experience Palacio de Valle
Tailor-made Cuba holidays with Round the World Experts
Many members of the Round the World Experts team have visited the island themselves, discovering its hidden attractions. To ensure you experience Cuba at its most authentic, we’ll draw on our own experiences and find out exactly what you want from your holiday, so we can tailor-make the perfect itinerary to suit you. In addition to our bespoke service, any Cuba holiday you book with us will give you free access to our Travel Butler, our exclusive concierge service that will look after you from the moment you book, to the moment you return safely home.
When embarking on a trip to Cuba, you’ll want to know you’re in the best hands, which is where we come in. Round the World Experts are part of one of the world’s largest travel companies. We have over 18,000 staff in offices all over the world, so you can be confident that we have access to the best local knowledge, the widest choice of airfares and a range of tried and tested accommodations to suit every taste and budget.
So what are you waiting for? Contact the Round the World Experts team today to start planning your tailor-made Cuba holiday.
Where else in the world do fifties muscle cars trundle down cobbled streets littered with crumbling Spanish architecture, giving way to an emerald interior where beauty abounds?
With warm sunny days and a laid-back vibe, Cuba is a place to relax and soak up a melting pot of cultures. Pull up a chair and join the locals for a spot of rum, or, if the rum’s a little too heady, try a café cubano, a deep, rich and slightly sweet coffee. When not shaking your hips to the steamy salsa beats of Havana’s nightlife or sipping mojitos and Cuba Libres, you can kick back on gorgeous white-sand beaches and dive turquoise waters home to a vast array of marine life: think barracudas and mesmerising lionfish. Or perhaps head into the lesser-visited upcountry, where tobacco plantations, orchid fields and plunging waterfalls coexist.
When to go
Move over Philadelphia: it’s always sunny in Cuba. With an average of 330 days of sunshine per year, there isn’t really a bad time to visit. The yearly average temperature hovers around 24°C, although it’s cooler during November to April’s dry season when temperatures can drop as low as 14°C. May to October is classed as the wet season so it might pour for a day or two every so often, although the showers usually pass in an hour or two, leaving only bright sunshine in their wake. Most tourists visit from December to March, or in July and August, and prices do increase during these times. Outside peak tourist season there are bargains to be had, and you’ll meet fewer tourists. Look out for Havana’s Latin America International Film Festival in November and the Santiago Carnival, held every 25th July. Hurricane season runs from June to November, but compared with other Caribbean islands Cuba is far less likely to be affected.
Airlines that fly to Cuba
- Virgin Atlantic
Although there are 10 international airports in Cuba, the majority of flights from the UK will land at José Martí International Airport, nine miles southwest of Havana. In most cases our Experts will arrange for you to be picked up from the airport and transferred to your hotel, but it’s easy enough to catch a taxi for around 25 CUC to the city centre if you prefer.
Best time to fly
British summer holidays are the main holiday time to visit Cuba, and therefore the most expensive period to travel. Outside these months, flights should be cheaper and quieter, although they fill up again around Christmas and New Year, when prices also rise.
Cuba’s largest airline is Cubana de Aviación. The average flight time from London to Havana is nine hours 40 minutes direct, and around 14 hours with a stopover, often in the USA, Canada or a European city such as Madrid.
For first-time visitors:
- Wander the fortresses, churches and cathedrals of Havana’s Old Town
- Choose your favourite flavour of Coppelia ice cream in Havana
- Gaze at the ornate façade of the Palacio de Valle in Cienfuegos
- Sip Mojitos and Cuba Libres after dark
- Feel the rhythm and learn some salsa moves
- Grab your mask and fins and meet the underwater inhabitants of Guajimico
- Hike to the El Nicho Waterfalls from Cienfuegos
- Tour the tobacco farms of Vinales
- Cycle through the lush orchid gardens of Soroa, home to over 700 species
- Learn about medicinal plants in Las Terrazas
- Take a ride through Havana in a classic American car
- Take a look at Trinidad’s Spanish-style churches
- Walk the colonial streets of Camagüey
- People-watch in Havana’s Plaza de Armas
- Discover the legend of Che Guevara in Santa Clara
- Find out more about Baracoa’s pirate history
- Laze on the soft sandy beaches of Cayo Levisa
- Snorkel the underwater world of Playa Ancon
- Set sail for the idyllic islands of Cayo del Rosario and Cayo Rico
- Chill out and do nothing on the beaches of Cayo Largo
- Sit in the shade of a palm tree on the 12-mile-long Varadero Beach
The ultimate itinerary
Cover the highlights of Cuba with Round the World Experts’ Beautiful Cuba Small Group Journey. You’ll fly into Havana for a tour of the Old Town and an energetic salsa class, before heading on to the mountains and wild flower landscape of the lush interior. Marvel at colonial architecture in Trinidad and Cienfuegos and visit the Che Guevara Mausoleum before returning to Havana. As with all Journeys, this tour includes flights and the use of our exclusive Travel Butler.