Experience Easter Island
Experience Torres del Paine National Park
Tailor-made Chile holidays with Round the World Experts
As tailor-made specialists, we can create a tailor-made Chile holiday that encompasses the country’s best experiences to match your interests, from adventure in the great outdoors, to laid-back sightseeing and cultural discovery. Round the World Experts has access to an incredible range of airfares and accommodation in Chile, allowing us to tailor-make your trip to feature exactly what you want, and for fantastic value.
And to ensure our holidays to Chile are exactly to your liking, you will also have access to our exclusive Travel Butler service. From the moment you book through to when you arrive home, your Travel Butler will be on hand every step of the way to ensure your experience truly exceeds your expectations.
Wherever you want to go, however you want to go, anything is possible with Round the World Experts. Contact us today and start planning your dream Chile itinerary.
With the Andes mountain range on one side and Pacific beaches on the other, slender Chile also finds space to include the world's driest desert, frozen glacial landscapes, bubbling volcanoes and lush wine country, aiming to please even the fussiest visitors.
Chile doesn't only rely on its natural assets to offer a winning travel experience though. Chileans are genuinely welcoming and the country’s relaxed atmosphere is infectious – just the thing for lowering stress levels. Even if you're eager to start hiking through the mountains or sailing the fjords in search of penguins, don't leave Santiago behind until you've had the chance to visit the capital's eye-opening museums and learn a little about the country's turbulent history to better understand its people.
When to go
As it spans more than half the length of South America, Chile's climate varies considerably depending on the regions you're planning to visit. It's also important to remember that seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere. If you have your heart set on visiting the Lake District and Patagonia in the south, these can be inaccessible in the winter (June to August), but this is the peak season for ski trips.
The summer (December to February) generally offers the most comfortable conditions, but it’s also when cities and tourist areas are busiest. It can be worth considering the spring (September to November) or autumn (March to May) instead to see Chile without the crowds. Most festivals take place in January and February, but the rest of the year also offers a smattering of cultural events, including the Independence Day celebrations in September.
Airlines that fly to Chile
- Air France
- TAM Airlines
Santiago's Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport is the country's primary gateway for long-distance flights. The airport is about six miles from the city centre, with transport by shuttle services and taxis available. Other airports around the country include Arica, Iquique, Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas and Temuco for domestic flights and trips to neighbouring countries.
Best time to fly
November to March is Chile's high season, when most of the country is warm and all attractions are open. Visiting in the winter season from June to October can mean lower prices – unless you're skiing – but some tours and activities in southern regions may not be operational.
LAN Airlines is the national carrier of Chile. Flights from London to Santiago take 17 hours on average, with a range of international stopovers including Madrid, Buenos Aires and New York.
For first-time visitors:
- Soak up the sun on the white sand beaches of Viña del Mar
- Visit coastal Valparaíso to admire the charming hillside houses
- Spot Magellanic penguins in Patagonia between September and March
- Make the trip to Easter Island to see its mysterious statues
- Explore the many aspects of Chilean art and culture at Santiago's specialist museums
- Watch the Changing of the Guard at La Moneda Palace
- Visit Sewell to see Chile's mining heritage first-hand against the dramatic backdrop of the Andes
- Board the Tren del Vino for a scenic train ride through the Colchagua Valley and to sample the local wines
- Cruise the dramatic inlet landscape of Tierra del Fuego
- Walk between the steaming geysers at El Tatio
- Watch the full moon rise over the Valle de la Luna
- Stargaze in the Atacama Desert, the driest place on Earth
- Take a dip in the hot springs at Termas Geometricas
- Explore the idyllic Lake District by kayak, mountain bike or horseback
- Hike alongside glaciers at Torres del Paine National Park
- Climb to the summit of Volcan Villarrica and gaze into the bubbling lava lake
- Ski at Portillo, Chile's most popular ski resort for beginners and experts alike
The ultimate itinerary:
Experience Chile in the hands of an expert with the 12 day Discover Chile tour. Including international and domestic flights, the group tour begins in Santiago and makes its way to Valparaiso and onto some incredible natural wonders including the Atacama Desert, Altiplano Lagoons and El Tatio Geysers before travelling through the Lake District and onto Torres del Paine National Park.